Sunday, May 1, 2011

Extreme couponing...NOT

I recently watched a television program that was called Extreme Couponing.

Thinking this might actually be interesting, the idea of saving people money by using store coupons when they buy groceries and such is fantastic. I mean with all the money troubles in some areas of the country, sure that works for me until.......the family they based the show on got really silly with some of their  so called essentials. This is just my opinion but here's how the story goes.

A married mother of 3 was shopping at her local Safeway. After ringing in a total of around $1300.00 (yes.....$1300.00), She then presented the coupons to the clerk.Coupons were scanned and credit applied. The new total was a little over $100.00. I thought hey that's pretty good. After they went over what she had bought, that's where  I became skeptical. Let me run down some of the items.
  •  20 some packages of corned beef sandwich meat( good buy)
  • around  10 containers of margarine (good buy)
  • around 40 bottles of toilet bowel cleaner ( not so much)
  • around 90 bottles of mustard ( not so much ) and some other things I missed.
Now I'm thinking to myself who would need 40 bottles of toilet bowel cleaner or 90 bottles of mustard? Really? To me unless your running a business and reselling the items for profit, why would you bother? In this story this wasn't the case at all. The family had made several shelves to stock all of their purchases. Apparently they've been doing this for a while. There were shelves in the basement, garage and all the bedrooms. There were dry goods everywhere you looked. They even had stuff under all the beds. I couldn`t for the life of me totally understand it.

To me it looked like they were planning for the Apocalypse. It was a case of extreme hoarding. That`s gotta be it. I mixed up my shows. This was the show about hoarders. No wait........never mind........

All of a sudden I feel like a mustard sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment